Subject: Re: [amqp] AMQP Extension Registries

On 02/29/2012 08:35 PM, Godfrey, Robert X wrote:
There has been discussion on establishing a process by which AMQP 1.0
extension mechanisms get added to the registries held at amqp.org. This
has been discussed at the Member Section Action Group, and the following
process has been proposed:

We suggest that there should be two distinct mechanisms, one for the
registration of extensions under a vendor’s own domain (using their IANA
enterprise number for the numeric identifier, and their domain name for
the symbolic identifier), and a separate process for the use of the AMQP
domain (numeric id 0, symbolic amqp).

The registration of extensions does not imply any sort of “blessing” on
the part of the AMQP Member Section, or OASIS... it is simply provided
as a resource to allow for information about extensions to be shared.
Vendors may implement extensions and choose not to register them.

For the first case we believe the process should simply be that the
member wishing to register the extension should mail the Member Section
with the details of the extension. Other members should then have 2
weeks to raise any objections. Only two types of objections will be
considered - 1) that there is insufficient documentation an end-user or
another implementer to know how to use the extension or 2) that the
extension is essentially identical to an existing extension

For extensions in the amqp (numeric 0) domain - we believe that these
should only be added as the result of the work of a TC and a formal vote
on a proposal. Work in progress in a TC may be registered while the work
is ongoing, but a warning that the details of the extension are subject
to change should appear next to the registration details.

All thoughts/comments on this proposed process would be appreciated,

This sounds generally good to me. My one suggestion would be to explore whether we could also offer a 'neutral' descriptor for unofficial (essentially experimental) extensions. E.g. x-amqp for the symbolic and perhaps 3284 (OASIS Consortium's PEN) for the numeric.

This could provide a middle ground between a 'vendor' defined extension and a full-blown, officially 'blessed' extension with the aim of encouraging cross-vendor extensions to emerge without the overhead of a full standard to begin with.

Such developments would be a very useful foundation for official extensions. By not appearing to be 'owned' by a vendor they might be more palatable to other interested parties (perhaps I am being overly sceptical here!).

The process would be similar to that you outline above. If a proposal for an unofficial extension was met with alternatives or alterations we could hopefully decide in an informal way whether to try and unify these or whether to give each scheme a unique descriptor and 'let the market decide'.

This might also mean that the interpretation of 'essentially identical' as applied to vendor registered extensions could be quite lax and therefore less heated and less likely to cause premature 'land grabs' (again, I apologise if this sounds like a rather pessimistic view of the nature of collaboration between commercial entities!).