announce message

Subject: Arbortext Acquires Advent3B2

Arbortext Acquires UK-based Advent Publishing Systems, Ltd.

Extends Enterprise Publishing Leadership; Continues Aggressive Growth
Plans

Ann Arbor, Mich., and London, United Kingdom, October 13, 2004 -
Arbortext, the leading provider of XML-based Enterprise Publishing
Software, today announced it has completed the acquisition of Advent
Publishing Systems, Ltd. (Advent3B2).  Arbortext's acquisition of
Advent3B2 combines two leading publishing software companies and
continues its successful track record in expanding its leadership
position in the Enterprise Publishing Software industry.

Arbortext's Enterprise Publishing Software helps companies streamline
and automate their information creation and publishing process to
deliver information that is more accurate, relevant and timely.  Through
the acquisition of Advent3B2 and its product line, Arbortext extends the
benefits of enterprise publishing to design-intensive and complex
documents such as financial reports, marketing collateral, consumer
catalogs, directories and journals.  Using Arbortext Enterprise
Publishing Software, organizations can automate the publishing process
in order to deliver better information faster and at a lower cost.

"This acquisition underscores Arbortext's strategy to become a leader in
Enterprise Publishing," said Mark Walter, Senior Analyst, The Gilbane
Report. "The 3B2 software complements Arbortext's well-known XML editing
tools and will enable Arbortext to target more typographically complex
publishing applications in the corporate setting as well as make a more
concerted effort to sell into commercial STM publishing, where many
publishers are in the midst of migrating to XML."

Commenting on the acquisition, Ken Swanson, Senior Vice President of
Operations at Bowne & Co., Inc. had this to say, "This is exciting news.
As a long-time customer of Advent3B2, we've been very successful with
the development of the Advent3B2 composition engine for our future
publishing initiatives.  I am confident the combined companies will
enable us to take advantage of a stronger product line to fulfill our
plans for enterprise publishing.  I expect the combined companies will
take advantage of each other's strengths, making for a stronger
partnership that is built on customer focus and teamwork for us."

Raymond Schiavone, President and CEO for Arbortext, said "The
acquisition of Advent3B2 is consistent with our growth strategy,
business goals and commitment to our customers.  Advent3B2 has a long
and distinguished history in software that automates the publishing of
documents with complex layout and design, outstanding talent, and a
strong customer base.  Advent3B2's technology enables us to extend
enterprise publishing solutions to additional applications, departments
and organizations."

"We are excited to join Arbortext and be part of a well known and
respected team that is revolutionizing how organizations publish
information," said George Punton, Advent3B2's Managing Director and CEO.
"This acquisition is great news for Advent3B2 customers because it
reinforces and protects their investment as we move toward
standards-based publishing platforms.  Advent3B2 customers can take
advantage of our combined efforts to develop and deliver a wider range
of high quality products and services for enterprise publishing
applications throughout the organization."

With this acquisition, Arbortext will broaden its product offerings and
grow its customer base with the inclusion of over 300 Advent3B2
customers.   Arbortext will also expand its operations by combining the
Advent3B2 development, professional services and sales and marketing
capabilities through the integration of its Swindon, United Kingdom and
Konstanz, Germany offices.

About Advent Publishing Systems, Ltd.
Advent3B2 develops and markets a comprehensive suite of innovative
publishing software based on the latest industry standards including
XML. Its growing, global customer base includes The European Parliament,
Boeing, GlaxoSmithKline, the US Patent and Trademark Office, Bertelsmann
and the Canadian House of Commons.

About Arbortext
Arbortext is the leading provider of Enterprise Publishing Software that
enables organizations to create and automatically publish large amounts
of information, such as technical manuals, pharmaceutical product
information, legal information and software documentation.  Enterprises
around the world use our software to publish in multiple languages to
multiple audiences in multiple hardcopy and electronic output formats.
Arbortext's software is installed at over 1,400 organizations worldwide.

Current customers include American Express Financial Services, Audi,
Boeing, Bombardier, British Aerospace, Caterpillar, DaimlerChrysler,
Ericsson Telecom, Ford, General Electric, GM, IBM, International Thomson
Publishing, Lucent, Nokia, Nortel Networks, PeopleSoft, Pfizer, Ricoh,
Sun Microsystems, Toyota, United Airlines, Volkswagen and Volvo.
Arbortext is a founding member and active participant in both the XML
Activity of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and the Organization for
the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS).
Headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, Arbortext has offices around
the world. For more information, please visit www.arbortext.com.

Contacts:
Beth Ambaruch, APR		David Stone			Glynis
Monighan
Arbortext, Inc.			Ketchum			Advent3B2
+1 734.327.6014		+1 312.228.6967		+44 (0) 870 7778555
bea@arbortext.com		david.stone@ketchum.com
glynis_monighan@advent3b2.com

	Press room:  http://www.arbortext.com/html/press_room.html