Subject: FW: WS-Addressing charter proposal deadline 20th sept -- call for review

Title: FW: WS-Addressing charter proposal deadline 20th sept -- call for review

See note below from Jeff Mischkinsky.  The proposed charter includes many things is scope that we do not need for addressing.  The charter shoud be limited to addressing of messages, and not other things which are coming along for a ride and we don't need.  Furthermore the charter has them delivering a completed specification in January time frame, which means they expect people to simply rubber-stamp the existing specification, which is currently based on IBM technology.  Please comment on the charter if you have a W3C AC representative in order to assure that WS-Addresssing becomes an open and fair standard.

-Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Mischkinsky [mailto:jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 10:48 PM
To: duncan@enigmatec.net; Jacques Durand; Hirsch Frederick; Timo Skytta; Glen Daniels; Steve Ross-Talbot; Mark Little; ucorda@seebeyond.com; masahiko.narita@jp.fujitsu.com; Bob Freund; art.barstow@nokia.com; f-onimaru@bu.jp.nec.com; steve.caughey@arjuna.com; Eric Newcomer; Dale Moberg; yamagi_t@itg.hitachi.co.jp; Keith Swenson; Pete Wenzel; Tom Rutt; iwasa

All,

Just a quick reminder: The deadline for comments on the 'Call for
Review' of the proposed WS-Addressing WG charter [1] is this monday
20th sept. Feedback can be provided using the form at [2]. The feedback
has to be sent by your company's AC rep (or a designee).

Please note that the W3C Team's charter proposal at [1] is
substantially similar to the proposal sent by Microsoft [3] (which was
discussed on our previous concalls). Therefore, most of the discussion
and comments on that charter still apply.

I would like to urge you to send feedback to W3C on this charter
proposal -- for technical issues, schedule, scope as well as the
process issues (ensuring that the W3C does not rubber stamp
WS-Addressing [4], fair and open process etc). It seems clear to me
that a 4 month time period to last last call, which includes the period
from the US Thankgiving through christmas and new year's holidays
implies a lack of intent to seriously consider architectural issues
that may be raised. I am concerned about the precedent this will set
and what it says about the future integrity of W3C's approach to
standards development.

Previous comments (which were sent to member-ws@w3.org and not to the
W3C team) are at [5]-[14]. Unless the comments are (re)sent to W3C team
using the form at [2], they may not be considered.

It is out understanding that W3C is considering this charter proposal
as an "experiment". Unless they hear anything from the membership, they
will very likely assume that the "experiment" was a success.
WS-Addressing is just one of the large number of WS-* specs that are
out there and the charter for this WG may set a precedence. Therefore
it is very important that your company's AC rep sends your company's
feedback by monday, 20th sept.

Cheers,
Jeff

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/08/17-wsa-charter.html