autorepair-req message

Subject: [autorepair-req] Comments from independent publishers

Hi,
I have attached comments from David Wilde (EurotaxGlass's) and Malcolm Rixon
(Autodata) on behalf of
Independent Publishers. As well as posting to the OASIS list, I'm also
sending this directly to everyone on the SC1 committee - apologies to anyone
who gets it twice.

Prior to the next meeting on 18th November, I will gather into a single
document any similar comments posted to the list or sent to me for
circulation.

Thanks,
John

=================================
we have read the attached document [SC1-005 Comments on Deliverable Code
SC1-D2 from JAMA] and wish to comment on 'Comments item 1.':

Justification of the need for 'Job Times'
Background - It is true that job times and warranty times are one and the
same. However, these times are used by independent garages and franchised
garages for repairing vehicles that they do not have a franchise for. Job
Times have been supplied by vehicle manufactures to independent publishers
for many years - to EurotaxGlass's for nearly 70 years and to Autodata for
30 years.

The justification for emissions related job times is simple, any garage
carrying out the work needs to charge the customer a fair rate for the work
carried out. Also the time charged by the independent should be in line with
that charged by the franchise dealer. Failure to look at the aftermarket as
equal players, may result in non franchised dealers making their own
assessment of a time for a job which may be just as likely to undercut the
charge a dealer would make as exceed it. We appreciate that there might be
some concern about the independent garage trying to undercut the franchise
network but that surely is part of the reason for the proposed changes in
legislation, i.e. to increase competition. Also as these times have been
available to independent garages for many years there is no change to the
status quo.