bcm message

Subject: RE: MDA or AMDD?

Roy,

I love the manifesto!

I've taken the liberty of forwarding it over to the BCM team too -
where I'm sure this will resonate strongly.

We really will have to figure out how to get you involved in
the BCM/EPR work you know - the planets are aligned -
and we have our tractor beam switched "ON"!

Cheers, DW.
Message text written by "XMLEDI Group"

Hi David:

I agree will all your points.

A while back in this list, we had the discussion about XML in terms of
semantics (human intention) and syntax (mechanics of that intention).  Both
of these came into being through individual and then team creativity, but
became the consensus around which community and standards formed, through
application of engineering principles across that community of interest.
This is the nature of any civilization/standardization and subsequent
governance effort.

In terms of the "physics of systems" and "organized chaos", consider the
following definition of "management" from the 1963 Reingold Encyclopedia of
Management:

Management: "The resolution of complexity and diversity in science and
society into a system of controlled order."

Translation: Turning chaos (e.g., creativity) into order (e.g.,
standardization), as a foundation for the next round of chaos.  See book
called "Turbulent Mirror" by ? James Gleick ?.  For example, of all
possible
sounds/symbols/gestures of which the human voice/body is capable, the
English (or French, or Chinese, etc.) alphabet, as an orderly system,
provides the foundation for infinite creativity in expression and
communication of thoughts to the entire collection of English speaking
people, with all who know and use the English alphabet being able to share
in the evolving bounty of that guided creativity via reading, speaking,
writing, listening, etc.

As a management scientist, physicist, and social scientist, focused on
socio-technical integration (i.e., application of technology to society's
needs) this definition of management has guided my thinking since my high
school days.

If AMDD efforts follow an accepted/constrained "alphabet" when such efforts
develop systems/software, then the AMDD practitioners are more likely to
have longevity in the employing organization/team.  Wild creativity always
belongs as treasure in an art museum, but only occasionally, when "outside
the box thinking" is required, in an organization's operations.

People are often confused by my efforts and communication because they see
both extreme creativity and extreme order in my approach to the world and
work, not knowing that to me, they are both part of a process called life.
They are like inhaling and exhaling of breath.  Try doing only one.

Roy Roebuck
<