bcm message

Subject: FW: [bcm] [Fwd: [bcm-comment] Public Comment]

Info for today's discussion.

mike
-----Original Message-----
From: Wasserman, Neil _(temp) [mailto:nwasserman@alionscience.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 1:17 PM
To: carlmattocks@checkmi.com; David RR Webber
Cc: LUBASH, MIKE
Subject: RE: [bcm] [Fwd: [bcm-comment] Public Comment]

 Yes,  Mike and I started on a CMM for BCM.  Apologies that we didn't
push it forward as we might have.

A couple of thoughts.

The agile software movement deals with the problem that it is impossible
to anticipate requirements up front, and so emphasizes adaptability in
the development process.  It follows that testing has to be tightly
integrated into design and development, short cycles, small teams, etc.

BCM and related service oriented approaches take an additional step.
Not only can requirements not be anticipated, but systems must be built
to adapt to variable and unanticipated requirements on the fly.   The
CMM for BCM addresses more than the software development process.  It
addresses that ability of the operational (reusable) service components
to adapt to multiple semantic environments (where business requirements
and capabilities vary in unpredictable ways).

The capability tracks  in the attached CMM matrix address the different
aspects of adaptability.   Mike and I believed this need some additional
thought before we circulated it more widely.

Neil