bias message

Subject: FW: OASIS Biometrics TC Questions

From: Robin Cover [mailto:robin@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:21
To: Mangold, Kevin C.
Cc: Chet Ensign; Tilton, Cathy; Micheals, Ross J.; Robin Cover
Subject: Re: OASIS Biometrics TC Questions

Oh, dear!  Email messages today prompted me to discover that
I failed to ACK the response of Kevin (below) on July 3rd, and
that of Cathy Tilton in the same thread [1], also July 03, 2012.

Kevin and Cathy: please forgive me.  I sincerely apologize.

Your responses are more than adequate in reply to my
_expression_ of interest in crafting a compelling new
charter for new work.  It's quite acceptable to omit any
references to particular frameworks, architectural
styles, modeling languages, schema languages,
serialization formalisms, etc.   It's also advisable IMO
to be sparing in the mention of **anything** declared to
be "out of scope", as that has come to haunt other OASIS
TCs.  Just say: "Out of Scope: (a) new recipes for brewing
Belgian ale (b) new methods for swinging in a swing"
(that's already patented).... "anything not declared
'out of scope' is deemed to possibly be in scope.."   ;-)

Similarly: there's no need to mention particular
modalities (and I read yesterday about a startup
using heartbeat patterns in multi-factor biometrics)...
If such things are mentioned as a means of
demonstrating the KINDS of topics possibly to be
addressed, then you can just be clear that they
are examples.

Another way to add flexibility is to indicate that the TC
will remain open to the contribution of additional use
cases and requirements throughout TC lifecycle,
and to correspoonding in-scope new deliverables to
match the new use cases, subject to TC member
evaluation and resolution.  In fact: that's how some OASIS
TCs work, and it's allowed under TC Process. IMO it
should be enouraged in any TC charter proposal where
the co-proposers can agree to have long-range vision to
work on new (in-scope) projects not known at the initial
time of chartering.

Example: the Open Web Foundation (model) has been
attractive to some new initiatives, including some at W3C.,
specifically because it makes no assumptions about
binding participants to a pre-determined agreement about
(detailed) scope for deliverables.  The philosophy
adopted in this general model [caveat: I was involved] was
that the first order of business in a specification development
initiative may be to wrestle with the topic, broadly
considered, to better understand the actual problems
in technology and policy, so that requirements and use
cases can be written in a more informed manner, and
then to identify further deliverables beyond the documents
that detail the problem statements, to set out the
requirements for standardization.  Then proceed to write
implementation specs that meet the requirements. I believe
this too is allowed at OASIS, but TCs often don't opt for
that approach.  [2]

I probably won't be in Sarasota for your meeting, but I will
remain actively engaged in any conversations where my
inputs are useful, so please keep me in the loop
whenever possible.

Kindest regards and best wishes.

- Robin

[1]  From Cathy; see Kevin's message below