biometrics message

Subject: FW: [biometrics] Groups - Ballot closed: "Approve WS-Biometric Devices V1.0 with Non-Material Changes as a CS?"

TC,

I just wanted to give some clarification on why this ballot did not pass. We have had a few parties that have expressed concerns of how the committee’s IPR policy would affect them and their organization. When this committee was originally chartered, the various IPR modes were evaluated. It has been two years running and I thought it might be a good idea to come back and re-evaluate the IPR modes after considering participation and adoption over the last two years. *IF* the committee decides to change the IPR mode, a new committee will need to be formed (“Biometrics 2.0”). Moving work items between TCs of the same IPR mode is easy; moving work items between TCs with different IPR modes can be quite difficult. With that said, committee work items have no IPR policy applied to it until it reaches the Committee Specification stage. Ross and I, at the last minute (there was not enough time to reach out to the TC and hold a quick meeting) and after some careful consideration, changed our votes to give the TC an opportunity to discuss without reaching into IPR-issues-territory.

I wanted to clarify the results of the ballot as soon as I could to avoid confusion between now and the next meeting. I apologize for the inconvenience but hope this benefits everyone and the TC in the long run.

Thanks,

Kevin

---

Kevin Mangold

Information Technology Lab / Information Access Division / Image Group / Biometric Clients Lab