Subject: RE: [bt-spec] Context

At 12:00 AM 2/4/02 +0000, Peter Furniss wrote:
Sazi,

I assume the "not" in the first sentence is a typo,or it should say "If" instead of "Unless"  - the sentence doesn't seem to make sense otherwise.

Thanks for correction.. yes, *not* is a typo ;(

CONTEXT is *not* used between Superior and Inferior.

Good.

It is used in relation to application messages - broadly from Initiator to Service,

Good.

but the particulars are only as understood by the application (which in this sense includes application-supporting infrastructure like interceptors, containers etc.) and not immediately visible to BTP.
This is is out of scope of protocol since it is not visible to BTP.

CONTEXT is also used on the Initiator:Factory exchanges - related to BEGUN as the way the CONTEXT is delivered to the application from the Factory that just made it, and related to BEGIN to indicate that a sub-coordinator/sub-composer is to be created and enrolled with the Superior identified by the CONTEXT.

Good.

I don't see how Jim's proposal affects transaction coordination as such. It seems to affect only the representation of the information on the Initiator:Factory exchange.  It would be an incompatible change though, precisely because it affects the representation

My statement based on the assumption that (if ) CONTEXT is used between Superiors and Inferiors... It appears it is not the case!

In summary, a CONTEXT is created by the Factory for an Initiator and sent from the Initiator to a Service, or sent from the Initiator to Factory to create a new role (sub-xxx) with the same CONTEXT. There is no other communications where BTP roles exchange CONTEXT, consequently a CONTEXT does not appear in transaction-coordination messages... Perhaps I misunderstood what Jim said below:

        > I definitely don't want to get rid of the context, but I am starting to
        > think it should only appear in application messages, and not in the
        > transaction-coordination messages.

This indicates that CONTEXT is used in transaction-coordination messages... and that's why I was trying to find out whether it is or not. And that's why I thought it would be good to have a table in the spec that shows all the message exchanges and related roles...

Thanks.
--Sazi

Peter.