Subject: [business-transaction] [Fwd: [Fwd: Conformance profiles]]

I posted this earlier on bt-spec, but didn't get it looping back, so
just in case there's a problem, I'm posting it here too.

Alastair

Misaddressed first time.

I believe that the correct use of partial conformance profiles will
provide the appropriate degree of choice for vendors who have differing
market perceptions.

The conformance divisions I propose concern two domains:
interoperability (can the implementation support interoperation for
particular roles or groups of roles?), and capability (can the
implementation support specialized roles behind common interoperable
"interfaces"?).

The attached Word document shows this concept. An implementation's
conformance profile can be expressed as A34 (original BEA proposal) or
AB1234 (everything), or any other combination of A with (any permutation
of 1-4), and B with (any permutation of 1-4).

A question arises. An implementation might wish to prevent
interposition, particular if the underlying implementation uses a
transaction facility that does not have an "open top". This would imply
that a factory might not be able to create an interposed (sub)
coordinator. Should this be another slice or option in terms of levels
of spec? Or should we just assume that any coordinator or composer
created is able to be interpose?

Alastair

2001-10-18.Interop.capability.conformance.doc

begin:vcard
n:Green;Alastair
tel;cell:+44 795 841 2107
tel;fax:+44 207 670 1785
tel;work:+44 207 670 1780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.choreology.com
org:Choreology Ltd
version:2.1
email;internet:alastair.green@choreology.com
title:Managing Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;13 Austin Friars=0D=0A;London;;EC2N 2JX;
fn:Alastair Green
end:vcard

begin:vcard
n:Green;Alastair
tel;cell:+44 795 841 2107
tel;fax:+44 207 670 1785
tel;work:+44 207 670 1780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.choreology.com
org:Choreology Ltd
version:2.1
email;internet:alastair.green@choreology.com
title:Managing Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;13 Austin Friars=0D=0A;London;;EC2N 2JX;
fn:Alastair Green
end:vcard

begin:vcard
n:Green;Alastair J.
tel;cell:+44 795-841 2107
tel;fax:+44 207-670 1785
tel;work:+44 207-670 1780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.choreology.com
org:Choreology Ltd
adr:;;13 Austin Friars;London;;EC2N 2JX;England
version:2.1
email;internet:alastair.green@choreology.com
title:Managing Director
fn:Alastair J. Green