Subject: Re: [business-transaction] SOAP Bindings Stuff

I agree it's an important discussion, and more important than any arbitrary
timetable, because it affects base-level interoperability.

"WEBBER,JIM (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex1)" wrote:

> Alastair:
>
> I know, given the current climate of wanting to get the spec finished ASAP,
> that these comments won't be all that welcome, but I've been thinking about
> the interfaces to a BTP service again, in the context of "rich" RPC versus
> the "doWork" style.
>
> I think we might have been slightly narrow in our view of the problem as far
> as thinking about hiding all of the detail behind some standard API goes.
> Almost certainly we will be able to wrap all of the client-application side
> complexity behind some standard API on the Java side of things (e.g. via
> whatever comes from the JAXTX effort).
>
> However, I think we have not done our best to think outside of the Java
> platform because I suspect we are all predominantaly Java advocates. In say
> .Net world, the chances are that we won't have a standard API for
> interacting with BTP services (i.e. transaction managers) and so people will
> be forced to cobble their own proxies together from the descriptions offered
> by those services. Now, of those services offer only a "doWork" method, it
> is a difficult task to craft one's own proxy, whereas if the BTP service
> offers a richer description and set of SOAP endpoints then the process of
> talking to that service is significantly simplified.
>
> As far as the whiteboard session/messaging SC meeting goes, I think it would
> be a good idea. As far as the SOAP bindings go, perhaps we should think
> about having two sets of bindings, one for SOAP Messages, and one for SOAP
> RPC. Then vendors would have the choice of which of those bindings they want
> to implement.
>
> Jim
> --
> Dr. James Webber
> Hewlett-Packard Arjuna Lab
> http://www.arjuna.com

begin:vcard
n:Green;Alastair
tel;cell:+44 795 841 2107
tel;fax:+44 207 670 1785
tel;work:+44 207 670 1780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.choreology.com
org:Choreology Ltd
version:2.1
email;internet:alastair.green@choreology.com
title:Managing Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;13 Austin Friars=0D=0A;London;;EC2N 2JX;
fn:Alastair Green
end:vcard