Subject: Re: [business-transaction] Jan 16th BTP conference call,details and agenda

Bill and BTPers,

I believe that we should not couple the progress of the implementable
specification to the primer. I agree with the approach that the primer is
necessary for OASIS Board approval as a full-scale OASIS Standard, but the
committee spec is well advanced, and I think we need to get it nailed without
introducing a dependency. I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but on
reading your proposed timetable this point concerned me.

More generally: the delay to mid-April seems excessive. Peter has been processing
the issues list and the Liberty Corner discussions in a highly diligent fashion,
and I know that he and Alex have been going over the XML side of things. My
feeling is that we should push on and add a two week slip to end February.
Prolonged deadlines do not distributed projects make, and the two most important
things in making this work happen seem to be a) votes on issues, which
concentrate the mind, and b) face-to-face meetings for knotty problems.

Why don't we aim for a 09.5 draft by the end of the month, which incorporates two
rounds of issue voting and a model section, and then aim for a 0.99 by mid-Feb,
with a vote two weeks later, allowing minor editorials by e-mail vote in that
last two weeks? One possibility would be to do an (East Coast?) FTF in early
February to discuss the 0.95. This would allow us to clear up, one way or the
other, what I think are the trickiest issues, namely the generalities about level
of explanation and rationale. If a primer draft were available at that point,
that would be great, too.

Yours,

Alastair

William Z Pope wrote:

> Hello,
> I am going to be out of the office from Tuesday January 15th until
> Thursday January 24th.  Bill Cox from BEA has agreed to chair the
> conference call this wednesday.
>
> Call Details:
>   Thanks to Geoff Brown and Oracle for hosting the call.
>
>   888-397-1171
>   Passcode: BTP
>   Leader: Geoffrey Brown
>
> Agenda:
>   1. Greet, rustle, settle in (5 minutes)
>   2. Establish minute taker for this meeting
>   3. Call roll
>   4. Accept previous minutes
>   5. Set agenda
>   6. general meeting, discussion, votes
>   7. review outstanding action item
>
> Items for Agenda:
>   - Votes on issues
>     See below ...
>
>   - Time frames:
>     Our target date for release of the specification is mid-February.  Due to
>     the holidays (or whatever) we are not moving quickly enough to hit that
>     date.   A possible way to address this is to develop specific work items
>     and have people sign up to address them.  These would most likely be in
>     the form of producing suggested solutions to specific issues.
>
>     I want to put up for discussion a possible revised timeline.
>     a) Primer avalable, fully cooked, February 13th.
>     b) Revised draft of spec 0.9.5
>     c) March 27th 0.9.9, available for review towards committee spec,
>        4 - 6 weeks review period.
>     d) April release from committee.
>
>   - Discussion of the Primer outline
>
> Voice votes will be taken on the proposed solutions to the following issues:
>   Issue 7
>   Issue 57
>   Issue 62
>   Issue 79
>   Issue 80
>   Issue 82
>   Issue 83
>   Issue 84
>   Issue 85
>   Issue 86
>
> William Z Pope
> zpope@pobox.com

>                               Name: Issue07-vote1-voice.txt
>    Issue07-vote1-voice.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                           Encoding: 7BIT
>
>                               Name: Issue62-vote1-voice.txt
>    Issue62-vote1-voice.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                           Encoding: 7BIT
>
>                               Name: Issue79-vote1-voice.txt
>    Issue79-vote1-voice.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                           Encoding: 7BIT
>
>                               Name: Issue80-vote1-voice.txt
>    Issue80-vote1-voice.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                           Encoding: QUOTED-PRINTABLE
>
>                               Name: Issue82-vote1-voice.txt
>    Issue82-vote1-voice.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                           Encoding: QUOTED-PRINTABLE
>
>                               Name: Issue83-vote1-voice.txt
>    Issue83-vote1-voice.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                           Encoding: 7BIT
>
>                               Name: Issue84-vote1-voice.txt
>    Issue84-vote1-voice.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Green;Alastair
tel;cell:+44 795 841 2107
tel;fax:+44 207 670 1785
tel;work:+44 207 670 1780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.choreology.com
org:Choreology Ltd
version:2.1
email;internet:alastair.green@choreology.com
title:Managing Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;13 Austin Friars=0D=0A;London;;EC2N 2JX;
fn:Alastair Green
end:vcard