Subject: RE: [business-transaction] Email votes - 7 Issues - Ends Tues April 9

> > Issue 87: Conformance Level
> >
> > --------------------
> > Proposed Resolution
> >
> > Change the second and third paragraphs of the conformance section to:
> >
> >     An implementation may implement the functionality of some roles in a
> >     non-interoperable way - usually combining pairs of roles, such as
> >     Terminator and Decider. Such an implementation is conformant in
> respect of
> >     the roles it does implement in accordance with this specification.
>
> Isn't this a bad choice of words since we've always said that
> there are many
> roles in the specification, but they don't need to be played by a unique
> actor for each? Why should this affect conformance? An actor can (and
> should) be allowed to perform more than one role without affecting the
> conformance of an implementation.

The paragraph was meant to mean that an implementation that, for example,
used a library approach, rather than a coordination hub server, was "fully
conformant" - avoiding the phrase "partial conformance". It is fully
conformant in what it does (assuming it does those things right), and it is
nobody elses business how it does other things. It is a full citizen in the
BTP world, as a Superior and Composer (say), even if the Factory cannot be
distinguished within it.

I'd understood (and I hope the spec says) that an actor is approximately a
process (or perhaps an object instance - it's really defined by the
addressing), whereas an implementation is something you get on cd or
download. Within an implementation, once running, there may be all sorts of
actors, or just one, and that is orthogonal to which roles those actors
perform.

Peter