Subject: Re: [business-transaction] Issue 89

> I'm getting distant from the details of this one, but my view on
> procedure, with the necessary declaration of my bias, is
>
> a) delay of the spec for this item would not be justified
>
> b) that the proposed insertion, which Bill Pope summarized well a couple
> of days ago, does not undermine or alter the central thrust or details
> of any other part of the specification, and continues in my view to be a
> useful placeholder, optional and at worst harmless (and at best very
> useful).
>
> c) that the proposed insertion is not inherently complex or novel in
> content
>
> d) that votes exist to decide differences, and that a split vote on this
> issue is not going to create civil war, nor I assume, lead anyone to
> vote against the whole spec (whether the insertion is in or out).
>
> ... so, why don't we vote on counterposed (mutually exclusive)
> proposals, one of which is defer to the future, as we have done with
> other issues, and the other is to adopt whatever the latest text is that
> the pro's are in favour of -- and be done with it?

If we vote to not defer does that automatically mean we agree with the
insertion of the text? I hope not. We don't have a problem with voting on
whether we should defer to future *and* then (if necessary) vote on whether
to accept/reject the proposed solution to 89. But these are not mutually
exclusive votes.