Subject: [business-transaction] Points for tonight's meeting

Dear colleagues,

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the phone meeting tonight. As Peter and Tony are out on holiday, one of our colleagues Mike Leznar would like to attend the meeting as an observer, if that is OK. He may be a little late in dialling in, as he is travelling at the moment.

I have some points I'd like to contribute to the discussion. Some of what I say may not be fully agreed by all concerned within Choreology, as others are away from work at the moment.

Our overall stance is contained in our press release of 14 August

http://www.choreology.com/news/140802_webservices.html

On the technical comparison between BTP and WS-C+T:

If we leave aside the multi-protocol support for enrollment/registration in WS-C, then functionally WS-C+T is a large subset of BTP (slight proviso of some indications on security integration).

I am trying to persuade the more conservative elements in Choreology to let me announce a

"Choreology Convergence Challenge: £10,000 (cash or specie, ~$15,000) to anyone who can come up with a use case or application scenario that the combination of WS-C+T can support, but that BTP cannot support". I hasten to add that they have not let me do this yet, so this is a conceptual challenge only at this point.

The purpose of this challenge would not be to launch a BTP vs WS-C+T war (which I think would be a truly futile business), but to highlight the need for convergence to provide a single interoperable means of delivering business functionality to customers.

My view is that it makes little sense to have one standard (a) and another standard (square root of a, squared), which express much the same things but in different ways.

There are several things about BTP which should not be lost in a convergence effort. Some have already been touched upon: e.g. high respect for participant autonomy, expressed in anticipation of and forewarning of pre- and post-prepare withdrawals. Others are quite useful and important: heavy optimization possibilities through compounding, "one-wire" capability; control capability for a cohesions hub (WS-T BAs lack interoperable control capability, tho' they do, in a rather awkward way, permit cohesions-like capability); ability to bind to multiple carriers and alternate representations (I think you could actually create a WS-T binding of BTP, tho' it would be an oddity).

WS-C+T is infelicitous in its complexity, particularly the unnecessary separation between AT and BA, and the similarly unnecessary distinctions between styles of BA. The complexity leads to excessively tight coupling. Applications being coordinated should not be aware of the technical means or mechanisms whereby business contracts are delivered upon. This reduces their composability. A key conceptual gain of BTP was the generalization that any effect can be countered or finalized in a manner decided by the service provider, only subject to overarching business agreements.

I believe that Microsoft and IBM should be formally invited to join in creating a new OASIS TC, taking BTP 1.0 and WS-C+T as inputs, to work on a unified standard.

If this cannot be accomplished then vendors and customers will have to make their choices. Our product can and will support WS-C+T because, broadly speaking, they are a subset of BTP, as we had expected.

My final comment is on IPR. I would welcome clarification from BEA, as the only WS-C+T signatory active in the BTP TC, on the actual status of the jointly published documents, and the plans and timetable for standardization, if any.

Specifically: are WS-C+T implementable for commercial product development and marketing purposes by non-author companies? If so, on what terms or bases? If not, then when can it be expected that they will become implementable? What are the IPR policies of the author companies in respect of these specifications? Does BEA support a royalty-free policy for WS-C+T as they progress?

Best regards,

Alastair
--

Alastair Green
CEO, Choreology Ltd

Cohesions 1.0 (TM)
Business transaction management software for application coordination

+44 207.670.1679
+44 207.670.1785 (fax)