Subject: Re: [business-transaction] Groups - BT-TC-FAQ.txt uploaded

Bill,

This document seems slightly out of date and does not seem to have been
discussed previously.  When was it accepted by the group?  It surprises
me to see this new version appear as our public FAQ [1].

I am wondering in particular about the last two questions and answers:

4. How does this work compare with related efforts at other standards
organizations?

    There is currently no comparable work in other standards
    organisations.
    There are two known proprietary sets of specifications for
    transactional
    web services but these do not encompass protocols other than the web.

Really?  Why has this list recently been discussing the overlap with
WS-C+AT and WS-CAF recently?

Is it the consensus of the group that covering more than web services
(not just the web as in HTTP) is an important value add in BTP?

    BTP uses two-phase interaction of which all other transactional
    interactions
    are a degenerate form.  This two-phase capability can be collapsed
    into
    simpler interactions when interaction delays are more important than
    transactional visibility or control.

    The business transaction protocol provides transactions independently
    of
    the protocol used to carry application semantics.   BTP defines the
    abstract messages, message semantics, and a concrete binding.

    BTP addresses the issues of transactionality within and across entity
    boundries.  It defines only a small set of obligations for the
    service
    invoker and the service provider.   The service provider is free to
    choose
    appropriate cancellation or recovery semantics.

Most of the above three paragraphs seems related to earlier questions
and not the relation between BTP and other efforts.

    The UN/CEFACT BPSS and related work contains an embedded business
    transaction protocol that is much more limited than BTP.

OASIS has announced a new TC to continue work on the BPSS specification.
     The "UN/CEFACT" label may therefore not be appropriate anymore.

I would also say that BPSS describes business collaborations but defers
to other infrastructure such as BTP or WS-CAF at run time rather than
saying one is more limited than the other.

5. When will this specification be completed?

    The Business Transaction Protocol 1.0 was promoted to OASIS Technical
    Committee specification on 3rd June 2002.

The term is now Committee Draft according to the OASIS Process [2].  I
am not entirely sure we should use the old term even when referring to
documents created prior to publication of the latest process.  Has Karl
said anything one way or the other?

thanx,
	doug

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/business-transaction/faq.php