bws-discuss message

Subject: Re: [bws-discuss] RE: XCBF Token & Related work

X9F worked with NIST on their initial CBEFF standards effort, along with BioAPI, who had a C-based API but no formal schema. Both BioAPI and X9.84 formats were included as approved formats in the first CBEFF standard. When NIST took that work to ISO/IEC, the X9.84 format was dropped as an approved format, and not included in the standards. Only BioAPI went forward. X9F only found out about this development some time later.

As I recall from way back, when they asked, the X9F committee was told that they would need to formally apply (somehow) to get their format approved by the ISO/IEC biometrics committee. Meanwhile the X9.84 schema became input to XCBF in OASIS, and changes in XCBF were later incorporated into an X9.84 revision. Since X9F is the tag to ISO TC68/SC2, and does not have a channel into ISO/IEC or any formal way to submit work or to comment on work in ISO/IEC, X9.84 was taken into ISO and much of it's management capabilities standardized as ISO 19092. This was without any schema, as 19092 is purely an information security management standard.

This year, X9.73 CMS and X9.96 XML CMS were merged to form X9.73:2010 CMS - ASN.1 and XML, since the two earlier standards shared a common XML schema. A revision of X9.84 incorporated what we had learned doing ISO 19092, included all of its information security management aspect, and simplified the messaging to rely on the new X9.73:2010 CMS - ASN.1 and XML standard. At the same time, the committee was able to provide cryptographic protection, not only the ISO/IEC template formats, but to any biometric data format, including samples, collections of templates, or other data formats, either proprietary or future versions of any follow on ISO/IEC work. Effectively, X9.84:2010 is independent of the format and type of the biometric payloads that it protects.

One notable new feature of X9.73:2010 CMS is that attributes were defined for SAML and XACML content that can be cryptographically bound to biometric information, such as reference templates. X9.84 defines many other important attributes, such as modality, biometric information security policy (BP), biometric practice statements (BPS), and privacy policy.

Phil