cam message

Subject: 2004 Planning

Team,

Some thoughts here as we start the New Year.

The Open House meeting at XML2003 is proving
to be a turning point for the CAM work.

We were able to identify areas we need to provide
materials for - and particularly brochures to explain
the value proposition of CAM to our intended
audiences - business process designers and
XML content programmers.

I've made a start on a draft brochure and will
post that once I've had chance to edit the
rough into something more readable.  To help
that process along I've also updated the brief
description of the project at Kavi and the SWIKI.
Please check that out and provide feedback - the
goal is to have a three paragraph take-away for
people on what CAM is, generally, mostly.

On the specification front - I've been working with
Martin Roberts on updating the details to match
the implementation Martin has in his jcam processor
and all that he has learned there.  We should have
a new 015 release available in the next few weeks
for team review.  The plan is to then take this and
make it our official V1.0 TC release.

Then from there we move the V1.0 spec' thru the
OASIS process and public review to be our first
official public release.

On the Registry front - we've identified the task of
providing an XML instance structure for storing CAM
metadata in the ebXML Registry - and we're talking
with the registry team about starting a formal effort
between us to make that a reality.  This will then
complete the <ContentReference> functionality
in our CAM specification.  This was all moved
significantly forward at the open house at XML2003.

Similarly I'm attaching a draft I posted to the BPSS
team last night showing how we can integrate the
CAM context mechanism with CPA and BPSS.
This is an extension of the documentation we
already have in our 014 specification - but now
proposed so that CAM can work seamlessly with
CPA and BPSS.

With all this happening I'm confident we are set
here to have a very successful 2004 and bring
CAM processing to a prominent position within
the OASIS family of specifications.

My thanks again for all your support and
confidence in our technology and I look forward
to continuing to work with everyone to make all
this happen for us in 2004.

DW.

OASIS-CAM-Specifications-Context-Management.doc