cam message

Subject: Re: [cam] WS-I and Schema profiles

Farrukh,

The problem with a minimalistic approach
to schema is that it does not address the
right problem IMO.

We've said all along that simply apply
an XML veneer to eBusiness transactions
does not make for interoperability and
ease of integration - this was a myth created
by the hype around XML.

The other problem is that XML itself is the
exchange format - not schema.  Schema is
merely syntax about syntax.  And schema
was *never* designed for eBusiness
transaction handling.  This was missing from
day-one in the W3C requirements of schema, and
so it was never engineered to solve this task.

There is no means to share vocabularies and
dictionaries built right in - so that means
every piece of schema is a new piece - hence
we have hundreds of thousands of schemas;
all different.

Notice that CAM includes the ability to
link to registry semantics and vocabularies.
That is key to being able to both create
alignment and simplify building consistent
components with shared semantic
representations.  If you dumb down schema,
it is just that - dumb markup.

Another vital missing piece from schema
is the ability to state context.  That leads
to confusing constructs and complexity
in structure definitions in schema that
users cannot then understand why and
when they should apply what with what.

Anyway - I guess this is getting into a bit
of a rant ; -)

The main point still holds - if they are trying
to solve this problem in a real way - to
create easier means to ensure interoperable
business transactions - then they should be
looking at tools like CAM - and not trying
to dumb-down schema!

Bottom line is you can create very simple
and clear XML - then associate a CAM
template with that - to capture the
business use rules and apply context to
that structure.  Then you can associate
registry references to each part of the
XML to enable full semantic linkage
to the facets and other information
automatically.  And these can then
become fully functional sub-assemblies
that can be simply included in, with
context driven conditionals.

Imagine a world where you could not use
part numbers to lookup product details;
instead you had to print all that stuff on
the product itself.

I believe the WS-I folks can find
real solutions to this by taking advantage
of CAM and Registry mechanisms.

I've heard it said that schema as it stands
is like writing assembly code - what
people need is a "COBOL" to make
the task accessible.

I believe we can provide them with