cam message

Subject: Re: [cam] RE: Drools and CAM

DW

----- Original Message -----
From: <martin.me.roberts@bt.com>
To: <mproctor@codehaus.org>; <david@drrw.info>
Cc: <TANVEER_ASHIQUE@bah.com>; <cam@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 7:36 AM
Subject: [cam] RE: Drools and CAM

Hi,

 In JCAM I have built in a mechanism to have DROOLS perform the
DataValidation section of the CAM Spec.  The idea is that by passing in a
set of nodes described by an XPath it would be posible to invoke a script
that would then work with the nodes supplied.
This is done by describing a Java Class that allows the nodes to be added to
the DROOLS working memory and allow the consequences to interact with the
nodes by changing values etc.
It seems to work reasonably well and is very simple to implement.

I am also toying with the idea of using the DROOLS ApplicationData construct
to allow the rules engine to be passed the either the template or the
xmlfile.  This would enable DROOLS to manipulate the complete tree and
possibly transform the output based on the rules.  The other extension would
be to allow the DROOLS to be passed an empty document that it could use to
hang new constructs off based on the rules firing.

One of the questions I have is what rules might be applied.  Without some
clear examples it if not easy to know how to integrate the tool.  It seems
to me that DROOLS could be used in two parts of the CAM template -
DataValidations and External Mappings.

One further thing I am investigating for jCAM is the use of PicoContainer as
a method to allow the other processors to be included into the processor.
The idea being that for each section of the CAM template a processor would
be passed three possible things - the XML file being processed, the Assembly
Structure after the Business Rules hade been applied and the section of the
CAM template the applied to the processor being plugin.  The advantage of
this method is that we can get the whole of the CAM Spec done by different
people yet all work with the same tool.  It also means that somebody can
change the default processor with another without affecting the other bits.
For example if I get the split right we should be able to allow schema based
includes without disrupting the rest of the tool.

Happy New Year

Martin