cap-dev message

Subject: Re: [cap-dev] Question re: alert.sent

Good question, Deanna.  Let me take a whack at it.

The message-wide <sent> element is the only required timestamp on a
CAP message... it should refer to when the message was actually
approved and issued by the originating agency.  In that sense the CAP
message format is opaque as regards any internal approval processes
(but see below.)

If none of the other time-based elements are present, then the <sent>
time is also, by default, the time the message should be delivered to
its final audience (in your example, posted to the Web).  However,
sometimes it may be desirable (again, as in your example) to embargo
dissemination till later... or even for multiple <info> blocks within
a single <alert> message to have different release times.  In that
case the <effective> element within <info> can be used to provide a
"start time" value.

It may also be desirable to indicate the forecast time of occurrence
of whatever is being described, even when the message is released
(effective) earlier... e.g., a forecast arrival of a storm.  So we
also have the <onset> element.

Seems like how your particular application would map to all this
would depend, in part, on the relationship between the "creator" and
"approver" roles.  In a tightly-coupled environment... e.g., inside a
single agency... you might not want to finalize the CAP message until
the approval is given, in which case <sent> would be the approval
date.  In a more loosely-coupled... e.g., multi-agency... process,
there might even be two CAP messages... an initial "private" one (as
defined in the <scope> element) which triggers a second "public" one
issued by the approver.  Much depends on the precise meaning of
"approval" in a particular process... does it comprise validation of
the information or just an editorial decision to make the information
public?

Also, it seems like the "notified" date/time you mention wouldn't
really be a component of the original CAP message, since its values
would vary from recipient to recipient depending on system
performance... and in any event they wouldn't be known until after
the message had been composed and released.  However, where there's a
requirement to track individual or aggregate delivery events, those
might be transmitted in reply CAP messages of <msgType> "ack" with a
<references> pointer back to the original message, and the
system-specific results in <parameter> tags.

At least, that's how it strikes me. ;-)  HTH,

- Art