Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] DOM question

Benoit,

see below.

Agreed.

>  BTW, the wording of the spec should be changed; the 'name'
>  attribute in xhtml has been deprecated... it has been replace with
>  XML:ID.  Therefore, to address a specific 'object', a user should be
>  referencing the unique 'id'.
one more defect for Lofton

>  One I'm not a 100% sure about this part of the wording below:
>  "However, the specific syntax for addressing a specific CGM in an
>  HTML page is not standardized.", in my example I know that
>  everything after "document." is completely standardized.  I just
>  can't find where the W3C says that a global object called 'document'
>  is the DOM entry point.
When we wrote WebCGM 1.0 there was no DOM, hence the addressing of a
WebCGM viewer was restricted to sending a URL to a frame or window.
This would only work of course if the CGM took up the entire frame or
window.
And even this method did not adress a viewer but rather a container for
a viewer, IE would drop the content of that container and then create
a new viewer to show the file with the new URL.

So the wording should probably be changed to:
"...The CGM defined by the object tag can be uniquely addressed using the
<XML:ID> parameter of the object tag. The WebCGM DOM can then be used to
manipulate that specific viewer."

One question: Should we add some words about grandfathering of the
"name" attribute of the object tag to ensure upward compatibility?

>  Does this help?
It does.

Thanks a lot,
Dieter