Subject: EPWG Meeting Paris 040721

All,

I attended the EPWG meeting in Paris on July 21, 2004 to present the current status of CGM Open's work.

The motivation behind this are the problems that have been discovered with the "S1000D CGM Profile", which is described in their spec but inexistent for the CGM world.

I pointed out the problems with the specification, and the options for creating a valid S1000D Profile.

To align their work with our recent efforts, I presented an overview over
- cascading CGM profiles
- WebCGM XML Companion File Architecture
- WebCGM DOM & Event Model

First reactions:
- It was acknowledged that there are problems with S1000D in its current form
- There seemed to be an agreement that S1000D needs to be changed
- I recognized the intention to collaborate with CGM Open to migrate to the
  new technologies wherever possible

I observed quite a bit of enthusiasm among the attendees regarding the latest developments around CGM. All this is important to the members of this group.

Questions & Action Items
- EPWG needs to check on how they can use our Companion File DTD to avoid having to
  change their data model
- Peter Zimmermann and I will meet in the near future to discuss the requirements, the
  current status, and possible solutions in more detail to provide them with enough knowledge
  to start work on this
- EPWG members showed interest in the current documents, especially the DTDs.
  I don't see a problem giving them the DTDs, because we definitely need feedback on them asap.
- Peter was interested in how we plan to test companion files. He suggested that Metacheck should
  be enhanced to test the basic aspects of the XML file (structure, broken references etc).

I attach the slides that I used for my presentation.

Best regards,
Dieter

S1000D and CGM 040721.ppt