Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: what does 'get..' return?

At 11:54 AM 4/27/2005 -0400, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 10:09:58 AM, Lofton wrote:

LH> Hi WebCGM TC,

LH> I'm working on the DOM test case for ApsAttr 'viewcontext', and think that
LH> we ought to clarify something about the 'get...' methods.  Specifically I'm
LH> working with getAppStructureAttr, section 5.7.6 (but this probably applies
LH> somewhere else as well).

LH> Let's consider the case of 'viewcontext' first.  Section 3.2.2.2 says
LH> "Initial value: none", which is reasonable.  If I getAppStructureAttr on an
LH> APS where there is no explicit 'viewcontext' ApsAttr, then the answer
LH> should be "undefined" (see side-issue about "undefined" below).  This is
LH> the way DOM2 works, so we should stick with that unless we have a
LH> compelling reason to deviate.
I've been doing a bit more research on this... All DOM Level 1, 2 and
3 are very clear about the getAttribute() method (similar to
getAppStructureAttr), they all state that the return value is a
DOMString or an empty string if the attribute is not specified or
doesn't have a default (i.e., DTD) value.

Right.  The only issue is whether or not the WebCGM-specific "Initial value" concept is equivalent to "default (i.e., DTD)" value.  We agree that it is NOT.

Could you send us a pointer to the DOM 'undefined' concept?

Sorry, I was sloppy and synthesized the "undefined" from here, the conceptual description of Interface Attr in DOM2 Core (p.51).  What it actually says is "does not exist" (see 3rd pgph):
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/DOM2-Core.pdf

Indeed, if I had looked further on p.54, getAttribute method, return value should be empty string as you said: "...value as a string, or the empty string if that attribute does not have a specified or default value."  So my side-issue goes away, thanks.