Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] Issue: linkuri (chap 3 & chap 5) different

At 12:23 PM 4/27/2005 -0400, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 8:40:12 PM, Lofton wrote:
[...]
LH> It says:"Parameters. The data record is a SDR of one member,
LH> containingthree strings (type SF, String Fixed). The first string
LH> is the link destination, a URI, the second string (possibly null)
LH> isa Link Title parameter, and the third string is (possibly null)
LH> the Behavior parameter. Note that a null string is a zero-length
LH> string, and is not the same as an omitted parameter."

LH> I have always thought this to mean that all three parts must
LH> be present, even if part 2 and/or part 3 are empty strings.  Do
LH> you read it otherwise?
Again, if a script writer ends up reading this definition instead of
the one in chapter 5... he may get confused.

Then we have to be clear in both places that each (CGM instance/SDR, and DOM/delimited-string) has its own technique.

It's not that clear how
you map the above wording to:
obj.setAppStructureAttr( "linkuri", ??what goes here?? );

You don't!  I.e., we explicitly chose not to use CGM SDR coding for things like list-of-linkuri, or list-of-name.  We chose to use "delimited string".  Therefore ... again, each place should clearly explain its method and not tempt the user to "...map the wording..."

Which I think we actually agree to...

[...]
LH> That would probably help.  We should clearly distinguish that
LH> the delimited-string DOM encoding in section 5.5 and 5.7.6) is
LH> distinct from the SDR encoding of the WebCGM instance itself (SDR,
LH> as described in eachof 3.2.2.1 thru 3.2.2.10).
Yes.

LH> Btw, in 5.7.6 the example for linkuri is:
LH> "http://w3.org" "W3C"  "_blank"
LH> Shouldn't it be:
LH> '"http://w3.org" "W3C"  "_blank"'
LH> I.e., enclosed in APOSTROPHEs?
Yes and no. Apostrophes are not in section 5.5

Oops, you're right.  Either apostrophes or quotes can be used to enclose individual list items, but I was inferring one too many in the grammar (agreed, there are no all-enclosing quotes or apostrophes in the grammar).

[...]
obj.setAppStructureAttr( "visibility", "off" );

But the quote are required to tell the ECMAScript engine that this is
a string; the actual string value is: \o \f \f \0

Right, agreed now.  The linkuri example could be written:
obj.setAppStructureAttr( "linkuri", "'http://w3.org' 'W3C' '_blank'" );

The value of the argument does not include the outer quotes.

Yes, the table in insconsistent, but it's not clear if it is showing a
set string or a get string.

To be consistent, should it have quotes for the interactivity example, "on"?  (I.e., if we exclude the all-enclosing quotes for delimited-string examples, because they are not part of the value, should we also exclude the quotes on single strings, because they are not part of the value?)