Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: what does 'get..' return?

Hi Lofton,

I'll do my best to keep this email well formatted...

<snip>

>> Then my question is, what should be displayed in the following case:
>>
>>   BEGAPS 'first'
>>     'visibility' off
>>     BEGAPS 'second'
>>     ENDAPS;
>>   ENDAPS;
>>
>>   Do we see 'second' or not? I want the answer to be 'second' is not
>>   displayed.

LH> I agree, we do NOT want to see 'second'.  But...
Ok, I think we all agree on this.

>> However, the spec as it is now, is underspecified and needs to be
>> clarified.

LH> Clarified perhaps, but I think it does what we want.  3.2.2.9 says:
LH> Initial value:  on
LH> Applies to:  layer, grobject, para, subpara
LH> Inherited:  yes

LH> I understand this as meaning that 'second' is invisible -- the nearest
LH> explicit setting on an ancestor node, 'off', inherits to its descendents,
LH> overriding the "initial value".  I.e., initial value only pertains if there
LH> is not an explicit, inherited value set on an ancestor.
After re-reading section 5.4 I agree as well.

>>   I would like for us to state that if 'visibility' or 'interactivity'
>>   is not specified, it's value is then 'inherit'. The CSS spec defines
>>   the 'inherit' property as: For a given element, the property takes
>>   the same computed value as the property for the element's parent.
>>   This would generate the result I'm looking for.

LH> I'm reluctant to accept this yet, because I'm not sure it's needed.  I
LH> understand and agree with the effect that you want.  But I think it's
LH> already there in the spec.
My proposal is based on the CSS initial value; yours, on the SVG
initial value. For some reason (I don't know what it is), SVG adopted
a different default value than CSS.

LH> Your proposal also raises a question:  if all elements in the
LH> picture have 'inherit' initial value, then are they visible or
LH> not?  I.e., does every WebCGM instance have to explicitly set 'visible'
LH> on the root element?  Or do we have to invent some artifice to make the
LH> value 'inherit', but make everything appear visible?
This is a very minor issue, I'm sure it's somewhere in the CSS spec, I
just couldn't find it. I haven't seen one HTML browser requiring

LH> For comparison, I went looking at SVG11:
LH> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/painting.html#VisibilityProperty

LH> Note that 'inherit' is a valid value, but the "Initial value" is 'visible',
LH> and the attribute is inherited.  Just like we now have in WebCGM.
Like I said, you looked at SVG, I looked at CSS.

>>If the group
>>   agrees with this, we then need to decide on something else...
>>
>>   Should we allow to explicitly set 'visibility' and 'interactivity'
>>   to 'inherit? Yes or No?

LH> Although I don't feel strongly, I can see the value, for a scenario like
LH> this.  Initially, everything is visible.  A node X is set to
LH> 'invisible'.  Other stuff happens.  Later on, we want node X to have the
LH> same visibility as the branch of the tree it is in.  Yes, we could use DOM
LH> to go up the tree and find the first explicit setting on an ancestor.  But
LH> it would be easier to just set node X to 'inherit'.
I don't really care what the initial value is, I care more about the
final result. The more I think about it... I think we need section 5.4
to be re-worded a bit (nothing major).

LH> On to Dieter's comments...

LH> At 06:50 PM 4/27/2005 +0200,
LH> =?us-ascii?Q?Dieter__Weidenbruck?= wrote:
LH> [...]
>>LH>
>>LH> Let's consider the case of 'viewcontext' first.  Section 3.2.2.2 says
>>LH> "Initial value: none", which is reasonable.  If I
>>LH> getAppStructureAttr on an
>>LH> APS where there is no explicit 'viewcontext' ApsAttr, then the answer
>>LH> should be "undefined" (see side-issue about "undefined" below).
>>LH>  This is
>>LH> the way DOM2 works, so we should stick with that unless we have a
>>LH> compelling reason to deviate.
>>3.1.2.4.2. defines a fallback behavior in cases where the viewcontext does
>>not exist. We might consider to use the same fallback solution when
>>doing a getAppStructureAttr on an APS without explicit 'viewcontext'
>>attribute.

LH> I'm no DOM expert, but I want to be very careful to go down this road,
LH> because IMO it diverges from DOM (as well as from how SVG has done it).

LH> It seems to me that we're potentially talking about two different things:
LH> first, the Document Object -- a tree that is initially defined according to
LH> DOM rules by data that occurs in the WebCGM document instance (+ XCF); and
LH> second, a "viewer object", which tells us not about the WebCGM document but
LH> about the viewed picture.
I tend to agree with Lofton on this one. But it may turn out that
users want what you are describing Dieter; but I think we should take
a wait and see approach.

<snip>