Subject: More thoughts on exceptions

I have some implementation feedback to share with the group... Here
are the APIs that throw exceptions (based on Stuart's document).

setAttributeNS() – throws INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: Raised if the
specified qualified name contains an illegal character.

Problem: What is an illegal character? Is it check that they are part
of [2] Char:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/#charsets
or is it something else?

                 - throws NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR: Raised if this
node is readonly.
Problem: When do we have a readonly node where a namespace attribute
cannot be set upon it?

setStyleProperty() – throws no exception

Problem: Stuart asked if we should throw an exception if the user
types in an invalid style or value. I agreed at first, but now I'm
having second thoughts. It seems like a lot of work for very little
benefit. The spec should instead say that out of range values are
clamped to acceptable values.

setAppStructureAttr() - throws no exception

Problem: Stuart made a similar argument that was made for
setStyleProperty. I agree that we should throw an exception if a user
was trying to set a new apsid; but I don't think we should look into
invalid values (again way too much work for little benefit).

removeAppStructureAttr() - throws NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR
No problem: I'm agreeing to Stuart's proposal.

Thoughts?

--
 Benoit                 mailto:benoit@itedo.com