Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: deprecation of old objBehaviors

At 09:14 PM 9/19/2005 +0200, Dieter  Weidenbrück wrote:
[...]
one more comment on this:

if we deprecate object behaviors, this has not only an impact on WebCGM content, but also on content containing links to objects inside a WebCGM, e.g. HTML.

Very good point.  It is not just about WebCGM content.  Links coming from other content types won't be carrying version identifiers, like WebCGM instances do.  (And actually, it might affect a CGM-to-another-CGM link as well -- you don't automatically know the version of the link source.)

 Therefore I agree with REC 1, and I strongly suggest to require the viewer to map "old" behaviors to new ones as described.
Otherwise we would render useless any EcmaScript code or hrefs in HTML that uses the old behaviors.

We should discuss how we want to handle it.  There are a couple of variables:

1.) viewer behavior:  map any occurrence of the old-3 to the v2 set?  or execute old-3 as defined in 1.0?

2.) manditoriness:  viewers MUST?  or viewers SHOULD?

3.) default:  how should v2 viewer default known-v1 content (the v2 default is zoom+newHighlight, the v1 default is full picture highlight)?  How should v2 viewer default objBehavior on version-unknown link fragments?

Dieter suggests viewers MUST map view_context, highlight, highlight_all.  That's fine with me.

What do others think?

I would also accept that a v2 viewer should *always* default as the content were v2 (zoom+newHighlight).

Other thoughts?

This would also establish a reliable behavior for editors when opening a v1.0 WebCGM and saving it as a v2.0 WebCGM. The editor could silently replace old behaviors with new ones.

I agree, when converting v1 to v2, you must do the mapping (since presence of view_context, etc., in a v2 file would be invalid.)

SUMMARY.  The way that we're heading, a v2 viewer would give somewhat different object behavior than a v1 viewer, when handling the same v1 content.  Are people comfortable with that?  [And if you are uncomfortable with it ... is there any alternative, other than *not* deprecating the old-3, and simply leaving the old-3 in as valid v2 content?]