Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] Issue CL-c2: Can a WebCGM 2.0 picture link to a multi-picture

At 09:36 AM 3/23/2006 -0500, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>Thursday, March 23, 2006, 1:51:40 AM, you wrote:
>
> > I agree with Benoit here.
>
> > We decided that we didn't want to change the EBNF at some point
> > do not invalidate old content.

Hmmm... can you clarify?  I am not sure I understand.

>Please note that certain forms of
> > the EBNF REQUIRE the full fragment picterm.objterm and disallow
> > one of the abbreviated forms. Hence there a lot of files out there
> > that have a picterm in them.

Right.

> > Secondly, we support the concept of cascading profiles. At any time,
> > a cascaded profile may introduce multiple pictures for whatever reason.
> > This is now covered by both the EBNF and the DOM.
>
> > So Chris' question broils down to
> > "What will happen if there is a fragment pointing to a non-existing
> > picture inside a WebCGM 1.0 or 2.0 file?"
> > A case for error handling IMO
>That's how I see it too. We probably need a section in the spec
>that talks about error handling and the processing of 1.0 file (Lofton
>also mentioned this in an earlier email).

[Aside.  If you notice, WebCGM in general *avoids* error processing.  It
usually doesn't tell a viewer what to do with a bad metafile.  In an
exception, 1.0, *did* say what to do if you get an out-of-range picseqno or
non-existent picid -- map it to an existing picture.  That is still in
3.1.2.1, but modified some because of the 1-pic rule on content.]

Yes, Chris asked that specific question.  Then, as Benoit pointed out,
access to multi-pic legacy 1.0 files is allowed via id but not by
picseqno.  I'm sure this is not by conscious design.  So I ask again, why
not just get rid of the fragment restriction that picseqno=1, and restore
the missing picseqno mapping rule to 3.1.2.1?  2.0 metafiles can still have
only one picture, and this solves the questions a-c that I raised as
underspecified.

-- external picseqno=2 link coming into a 2.0 metafile follows the 3.1.2.1
rule (selects the last picture, i.e., the only picture).
-- intra-20-metafile picseqno=2 link to a legacy 1.0 metafile is
allowed.  (And cascading is supported for multi-pic profiles)
-- etc.

So we can answer Chris's specific question, only.  Or we can make a couple
of simple changes and straighten out his question and several related
questions.

> > As a side note, if anybody opens (if he can find one)

There was one in the 1.0 Test Suite.  I did ask that question in my
original assessment -- are there any real-world multi-pic metafiles (and
assume the answer is "no", unless for example the petro application people
are cascading multi-pic applications off of webcgm).  So the consequences
of our decision, on legacy applications, are small.  So why not clean up
the mess and go a little further than Chris's question, to the related
underspecified questions?

-Lofton.