Subject: Re: FW: Translation from CALS profile to WebCGM

Hello,

I'll give a brief answer, and I'm copying the list of the WebCGM Technical
Committee.  Many implementors are there, and they might help to answer your
questions more fully.

Firstly, you have probably already found these resources, but:

1.) http://www.cgmopen.org/ -- "WebCGM", "References", and "Papers &
Presentations" contain lots of useful materials;

2.) http://www.cgmopen.org/webcgm/products.html -- a directory of viewers,
converters, etc, and the contact information for the vendors who make them.

Secondly, a brief answer to, "what effort has to be put into converting the
CALS profile to meet the requirements of the WebCGM
profile".  Historically, the CALS profile was the basis for the ATA
profile, and that in turn was the basis for the WebCGM profile.  (Now,
coming full circle, ATA is using the newer WebCGM profile as the basis for
future revisions of the ATA profile.)

There is a substantial overlap between the CALS and WebCGM profiles, and
there are also some differences.  From a practical perspective, I would
guess that the subset of the CALS profile that results from your GDF-to-CGM
converter would map fairly easily into the WebCGM profile.  I.e., it is my
guess (without actually looking at your output profile) the GDF-to-CGM
output would be a subset of WebCGM, or nearly so.