Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Z compression research

Section 2.3.1 of the RFC talks about the file structure.  The header block start
off with:

         ID1 (IDentification 1)
         ID2 (IDentification 2)
            These have the fixed values ID1 = 31 (0x1f, \037), ID2 = 139
            (0x8b, \213), to identify the file as being in gzip format.

They don't call it a magic number but it looks like something that
can be used to identify it as a gzip format file.

--
Stuart Galt
SGML Resource Group