Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] new Style Pttributes -- LETD, HSD, LTIO

Stuart,

At 09:16 AM 10/17/2007 -0700, Galt, Stuart A wrote:
>[...]
>Is this more what you were looking for?

Yes, exactly.  Good stuff.

>The use cases that I was trying to capture with the defaults column
>were:
>
>- The ability to be able to specify a default behavior of elements that
>are not allowed in a version 1 or 2 file.  For example Line Cap is not
>allowed in a version 1 file.  It would be nice to be able to specify the
>value without upgrading the file to version 3+.
>
>- The ability to be able to define the sizes of the dash, dots, spaces,
>line spacing (for hatches) for the line types that are pre-defined.
>This
>is useful to make lines look consistent across viewers and hard-copy
>versions.
>
>- The ability to be able to specify preferred font substitutions to
>enable mapping the font specified in the CGM and system fonts.  This
>is not actually called out in the table.

But that's okay, as it is in any case another line item in the 2.1
list.  (And as I recall, someone like Dave was going to send his list of
what capabilities the font-sub file should have.)

I wasn't so worried about the DOM column, as I understood its scope pretty
well (as opposed to the Defaults column).

Nevertheless, this is good stuff and we should keep it...

>The use cases for the DOM column were:
>
>- The ability to be able to define line (and hatch) styles for negative
>indexes.  Being able to manipulate these styles at runtime (via the DOM)
>
>it would enable creating the illusion of movement along a line (or
>within
>a fill).
>
>- Changing line and edge types can be used to draw the user attention to
>certain portions of the image.  Modifying the fill style and/or index
>can be used for the same purpose.
>
>- By making shapes (rectangles, circles, closed polygons, etc) that
>surround points of interest and using a fill style of none and then
>controlling
>the edge visibility attention can be drawn to complex regions (even multiple
>regions). This is similar to how highlight of a region works now, but this
>would
>allow edges to be different color if needed.
>
>Useless cases:
>
>- Disclaimer: I don't use markers and never have...  But being able to
>change them would allow for implementation of things like To-Do or checklists?
>
>- Disclaimer: I don't use the text score element either... The only use
>case I could think of was to be able to dynamically underline text.  But this
>is a case of a solution looking for a problem.

IMO, we can leave those t.b.d. for now, and decide later.  If they stir up
popular support, keep 'em.  If no one cares -- dump 'em.

-Lofton.