Subject: Re: AW: [cgmo-webcgm] scale transform

Forrest, All --

A comment and a QUESTION:

I have no problem with adding the scale reference point (or center point, or scale-origin point, or however you wish to call it).  For someone who regularly needs to scale around a non-origin point, it is more convenient than having to do translate-scale-translate every time.  (Altho' script writers can easily provide a utility function to do it.)

Before we make the change to the test, let's get everyone to agree about it.  (Adding the scale-center point.)

*** HOWEVER ... ***

Rereading Forrest's message, I am confused about one thing.  We all agree that the 'scale' function fixed point now is (0,0) in NVDC, right?  (Editorial comment:  this should be stated explicitly in the 'scale' method description -- everything else is explicit about NVDC, and the center-point must be (0,0) since it is not settable now.)

It seems like Forrest wants to scale about the *VDC* (not NVDC) origin, but there is no way in DOM to find the VDC-NVDC offset (so he can't set up trn-scl-trn).  Simply adding the NDVC center-point to scale() doesn't solve that.

QUESTION:  Do you want:

1.) scale center-point (NVDC)?  (For convenience, since it is achievable now by trn-scl-trn sequence.)
2.) or do you want the VDC-NVDC offset?  (E.g., a new attribute on WebCGMPicture [1].)  (Adds new capability that is not presently achievable.)
3.) or do you want both?

-Lofton.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-webcgm21-20080917/WebCGM21-DOM.html#L5070