Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] fontmap xml coding

Hi Dieter,

The DTD says:

<!ELEMENT webcgmConfig ( fontMap?, defaultAttributes? ) >

"?" means zero or one, right?

So as written now, it would be one fontMap per ACI file.  Notice that Ch.9
[1] addresses "viewer" only.  I think we had some discussion about this in
Boston -- need to go look it up in the minutes.

Opinion...

In fact, the conformance criteria of WebCGM (1.0, 2.0, 2.1) address
"viewer".  IIRC about past discussions, I think that conformance criteria
for Editors (or even simple Generators) were considered to be a can of
worms, so we stuck with the simpler viewer criteria.  (Even "interpreters"
can be hard to specify, because there is not necessarily a viewed image to
be used as a metric of correctness.)

In one perspective, an editor is a viewer (or interpreter) coupled with a
generator.  So Ch.9 as it stands could be construed to apply to the input
portion of an editor.  In principle, one could write something similar for
the output portion, and then work up a scheme for association of the
ACI-out file with the editor or generator.  (That "something" could even
borrow heavily from the Ch.9 input portion.)

I fear that it would be a can of worms to try to sort out a single
definition of ACI file that contained within itself the ability of a single
ACI instance to address both the input and output side of an editor.  Just
my opinion.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-webcgm21-20080917/WebCGM21-Config.html#ACI-scope

-Lofton.