Subject: adjustments to WebCGM editing directives

Dave (et al) --

I have one correction, and I'll pass along comments from Chris Lilley.

In the directive about changing 3.1.1 "[0-9]+", this should be classified
as a "Correction", not "Editorial".  (Okay, it's nit-picking and could be
argued either way, but the technical spec was incorrect in allowing picture
sequence number 0 to be specified.)

 From Chris (I agree with both of his comments)...

First, about "Symbol" as a character set:

>[...]
>
>2.35.1  Correction, 4.3, T.14.5
>Change "ISO Latin 1, LHS" to "ISO Latin 1 (LHS & RHS) and Symbol".  (Not an
>XML-alignment issue, just a mistake).
>
>Agree about RHS;
>
>'Symbol' is not a charset and should not be added. It was not omitted by
>mistake. Unicode covers all the 'characters' in the Adobe Symbol font. For
>example, the entity set for HTML 4 includes entities (specified by Unicode
>number) and this approach should be followed here.
>
>'Symbol' should not be added as an erratta because its omission was not an
>error.

Second, about URI escaping:

>2.35.4  Correction, 3.1.1
>
>A WebCGM processor shall handle a non-ASCII character in a URI by
>representing the character in UTF-8 as one or more bytes, and then escaping
>these bytes with the URI escaping mechanism (i.e., by converting each byte
>to %HH, where HH is the hexadecimal notation of the byte value).
>
>It should be made clear that the WebCGM processor is the thing which
>interprets the WebCGM file, and not a WebCGM generator (both of these are
>arguably processors ....) the important thing being that the URIs in the
>actual CGM file have the Unicode (IRI) form and not the escaped form; the
>escaping only happens when the URI is about to be sent over the network and
>is done by the WebCGM interpreter.

Regards,
-Lofton.

Lofton Henderson