Subject: RE: [chairs] relations with W3C

Title: RE: [chairs] relations with W3C

Karl,

All the OASIS Security-related TCs have a relationship with the security-related activities at W3C. Existing liaisons have been facilitated by the significant overlap in participants. A comprehensive discussion of all the relationships would require considerable analysis and probably would include some controversial points.

Focusing spacifically on SAML and XACML, both are dependant on XML signature. Both intend to encorporate XML encryption, once it is reasonably complete. Both could be used in conjunction with XKMS, but the coupling is much more indirect.

A much more significant dependancy is that SAML and XACML are defined using XML Schema. XACML is also making significant use of XPATH.

SAML is expected to be used in a Web Services environment (among others). SAML is defining both a Binding and a Profile (SAML-specific terms) for SOAP. The intention is to update one or both of these for XML Protocol when it matures.

A SAML WSDL file has been proposed.

I think those are the major interrelationships.

Hal