Subject: Re: [chairs] Unique OASIS document identifiers

Thanks for your comments (and kind words).  To be honest, I wasn't
expecting to spend much more time on this -- I thought I had done the
final version -- but can try to make a few more changes over the next
couple of weeks.  More responses below:

jkeane wrote:
> 3.1. Second Bullet - "Lowercase spelling is /recommende//d"  /
>
> Why? Some of our groups have grand discussions on camelCase and
> UpperCamel case. e.g LegalXML and OdrXML are official title from their
> charters. Mixed case reads better than legalxm or odrxml.   And, hey,
> maybe I am just a case sensitive kind of guy ;-)
>
> I don't see any need for this recommendation and, unless there is
> a cogent technical reason, suggest deleting the thought in the
> final version.

It certainly seems unfair for me to use OdrXML as an example and then
lowercase it, which was not the choice the real OdrXML group made!

I don't have a problem saying that lowercase or mixed case may be used.
  I could show examples of both.

>       "3.1. General Rules
>
> The following rules apply to all documents:
>
>     *
>
>       Hyphens /must/ be used as separators of the major portions of a
>       file name. Spaces /must not/ be used. Hyphens are /recommended/
>       between words within the description and extended description
>       portions, though underscores /may/ be used."
>
> Didn't we retire underbars in the the last discussion? With a poll?   We
> should either discourage underbars or also be silent on this point.

Well, they are discouraged (hyphens are "recommended"), and hyphens are
mandated between guidelines-dictated parts.  I kept this allowance only
because there's no way to parse a filename and find the official
guidelines-dictated parts if hyphens are used within parts, and just in
case, I thought it would be better to at least allow some other
separator if someone cared.  I'm inclined to leave this as is, unless
someone objects.

> *3.4 "cs* for Committee Specifications"  Isn't this acronym a bit
> cryptic? And contrary to the no cryptic acronym policy in the introduction.

True.  What would be better -- cttespec? spec?  The latter doesn't seem
so bad, and suggests that maybe draft / spec / std would have been
better than draft / cs / oasis.  Thoughts?  (Sigh.)

> *A.  Notices*
>     Curiosity: What is the source of the language in this notice? From
> the OASIS lawyer? Are we supposed to have that in all documents?
> Speaking as a lawyer, can the language be simplified?

I would love to have it simplified.  In constructing the original SAML
specs, we discovered that all those statements were required to appear
(see the Notices section of
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.shtml), and ever
since then, I've been treating them as boilerplate (and that's why
they're in the template).  Karl, can you comment on the possibility of
shortening these?

> *CLOSURE*
>  AND - how can we bring this to closure? Do we vote? Consensus? Formal
> Adoption by the Board? LegalXML has a steering committee next Tuesday
> and I would like to report this is done.

There is no formal process for the "chair community" to decide anything.
  I had already made this "submission" to Eduardo Gutentag (TAB chair)
and Karl and asked them to take it forward as appropriate, based on this
community's self-organized manner of lurching forward on the subject.
:-)  They would need to tell us what's happened since then.

	Eve

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com