Subject: RE: [chairs] need your comments on DocMgmt system requirements

Some comments wrt security requirements identified in the DocMgt sys rqts
doc:

RE: TC members have ??? rights (TBD)
I'd like to see the ability for a workgroup to be able to collaborate on
document editing (typically a portion of a spec); each member should have
the ability to checkin/out a document in a folder created specifically for
this purpose by the Chair/Secretary. Kavi is currently overly constraining
in this regard requiring the use of an alternate document repository (i.e.
yahoogroups) to support multi-editor collaboration.

RE: Public has read rights for all documents
While a TC should carry out its work in public, a TC should nevertheless
have to ability to work on documents without requiring public access to
versions that are work-in-progress and not ready to be reviewed/critiqued.
Without this, editors/TC members will be tempted to resort to private mail
reducing the overall effectiveness of the TC.

Luc Clément
Secretary, OASIS UDDI Spec TC

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl F. Best [mailto:karl.best@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 11:49
To: Chairs OASIS; Jeff Lomas

TC Chairs, Secretaries:

Early last month I sent out a request for your input on priorities for new
functionality that OASIS needs to provide to the TCs. It's obvious that our
first priority needs to be a document management system. OASIS management
and technical staff have agreed to this.

I've put together a draft functional requirements document for this doc mgmt
system and would like to get your feedback. It is very important that we
have the requirements correct and complete before we start development of
the project -- many of you are developers so I'm sure that you understand
the importance of this.

Please send your comments in the next week or so if at all possible.
Jeff Lomas, our Technology Services manager, and I will be finalizing these
requirements and starting system design and development by the end of this
month.

-Karl

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org