Subject: Re: [chairs] latest draft of doc mgmt system requirements

I agree with Eduardo that this would not be an IPR issue. Nothing may be
brought to OASIS that rquires confidentiality.

The closed door approach for the first phase was suggested, I believe,
because the work being done in the "sandbox" was very early and raw, and
possibly not something that anyone would want their name attached to. I
can understand that point of view, but I agree with Eduardo that this is
contradictory to the nature of OASIS work which must be done in the
open. I also agree with the concern of work never progressing to the
second pahse; I'd hate to see work never progress and therefore never be
made public.

Does anyone have a suggestion for why it might be important to have the
"sandbox" work not be publicly viewable?

-Karl

Eduardo Gutentag wrote:

> Rogers, Tony wrote:
>
>> What about those TCs which are working on material that has IPR issues
>> attached?
>

> To the point that no one other than TC members can look at that
> material? I'm not
> aware of any such circumstance. Nor do I know if it would be even possible
> for that to happen, given that the moment one brings a contribution into
> OASIS the following applies: "No contribution that is subject to any
> requirement of
> confidentiality or any restriction on its dissemination may be
> considered in any
> part of the OASIS Standards Process, and there must be no assumption of any
> confidentiality obligation with respect to any such contribution. No
> submission
> should be made on the basis of an assumed confidentiality obligation or
> restriction
> on dissolution." (OASIS.IPR.2 Confidentiality Obligations, to be found in
> http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php)

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org