Subject: Re: [chairs] SPAM

Why not just use a mechanistic, but variable, means of disguising the
email address the way Slashdot does?  An example appears here:

   http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=103884&cid=8848779

The email link shows up as:

   mailto:heironymouscoward%40yah%5B%20%5Dcom%20%5B'oo.'%20in%20gap%5D

A human can decode this as necessary, but a machine has a much tougher
time.  Here's another:

   http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=103883&cid=8848358

The email link shows up as:

   mailto:dgorman%40nosPaM.arete.cc

Etc.  I believe the engine behind Slashdot is open-source, so maybe that
(or part of it, anyway) can be used.  Though I wonder about its
effectiveness if a spammer can locate all the disguise techniques in a
file somewhere...

	Eve

Karl F. Best wrote:

> Chairs:
>
> I'll open another can of worms and jump into this :-)
>
> I agree with you wholeheartedly, Duane, that this is a problem. I'll bet
> that I get more spam than you do (few hundred a day). And I have no
> doubt that all this is because of spammers harvesting addresses from our
> list archives.
>
> Of course a knee-jerk reaction would be to close off the archives so
> that nobody can get to them, but given that the OASIS philosophy is
> openness and accountability we need to keep things open and accessible.
>
> There seems to be two possible solutions: either disguise the addresses
> stored in the archives, or to somehow block access so that only a human
> can get through. (I don't think that we want to go down the path of an
> offensive strategy such as what Duane suggests.)
>
> Lacking a foolproof Turing test to allow only human access to the
> archives, I think the best and easiest solution will probably be to
> disguise the email addresses attached to each message so that whatever
> is harvested in unusable by spammers. The disguise would have to be such
> that the harvester would not be able to accurately or easily recreate
> the address. Obviously substituting the word "at" for the @ sign isn't
> going to fool anybody for very long. But whatever we do may not disguise
> the actual identity of the sender; we need to know who sent the message.
>
> A final question is whether it is necessary for a person to be able to
> respond to a message he found in the archives; i.e. does the guy on the
> street need to be able to figure out how to respond to Duane when he
> reads something thet Duane wrote? Perhaps this requirement is not so
> important, as TC members already know how to respond to the TC list, and
> the guy on the street is already given instructions for sending a
> comment to the TC.
>
> If the above is acceptable then perhaps I could suggest (and please
> note, this is just a strawman for discussion, not an official OASIS
> proposal) that we delete some portion of the address after the @ sign.
> We could delete all of it, leaving just "duane@", for example, but then
> we loose any idea about what company Duane was at, whether Yellow Dragon
> or Adobe (and it may be important for IPR reasons to know). So maybe we
> could leave the first couple of characters after the @ sign, resulting
> in "duane@ye" or "duane@ad". If we left three characters then we'd get
> "sun" and "ibm" etc. which would make it possible to reconstruct the
> address. But then again with only two we would get "hp".
>
> So, any comments on whether it should be a requirement for a human to
> still be able to figure out the email address? And, if that's not a
> requirement, what do you think of my above suggestion?
>
> -Karl
>
> p.s. Duane, I hope you don't mind me using you as the example :-)
Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Products, Technologies, and Standards    eve.maler @ sun.com