Subject: RE: [chairs] RE: [members] OASIS member review of proposed revisionof TC Process

With respect to mesages from Howard Mason and David RR Webber

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200410/msg00021.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200410/msg00024.html

[Howard]
The constraint on hosting all information on OASIS servers would
appear to preclude the use of our publicly-available
sourceforge open-source publication process, used to deliver
completed documents to the OASIS server by running XSLT scripts
against XML source content.  This will only be acceptable when
an equivalent sourceforge environment can be hosted on OASIS.

[David]
I totally agree on the hosting topic.
Perhaps a better wording here is "where OASIS provides equivalent
functionality and requests that the TC use it".
Notice things like developer discuss lists are one thing that is
out there right now - is OASIS going to be hosting all those too?

I think Howard and David are referring to the draft
TC Process document says (in this revision):

All resources of the TC and its associated
subcommittees, including web pages, documents, email
lists and any other discussions, must be located only
on facilities provided by OASIS; TCs and SCs may not
conduct business or technical discussions, store
documents, or host web pages on non-OASIS servers. All
web pages, documents, and email archives of all TCs
and SCs shall be publicly visible.

Perhaps the OASIS administration would like to clarify
whether this represents a substantive change in policy
or (rather) a clarification of existing policy, viz., which
is the interpretation:

"all *PUBLIC, OFFICIAL* resources of the TC ... must be
located only on facilities provided by OASIS..." and

"TCs and SCs may not... conduct any *OFFICIAL* business
or *OFFICIAL* technical discussions, store *OFFICIAL*
documents, or host *OFFICIAL* web pages on non-OASIS
servers...

IMO the word "only" is infelicitous, and should be nuked
because literally, without other qualification, it makes
an absurd assertion.

Literally understood, it's unenforceable, as well as impractical
and absurd to understand the "must/only" in a global, universal
sense, since we all maintain OASIS TC-related resources on
our home computers.

I suspect the new language is meant to clarify that
all official (canonical) resources are to be
OASIS-hosted.  Less likely that the dozens of remote
sites are going to receive take-down legal notices
from OASIS administration for wikis, Yahoo!Groups,
SourceForge sites, and many other venues unofficially
supporting OASIS spec implementations and storing
copies of OASIS-related documents.

</unofficial>

-rcc