Subject: Re: [chairs] Proposal to address Open Source concerns

Gabe,

I wish we could get this done.

<snip>
Since the Open Source community already defines the meaning of "Open Source"we believe the best way to do move forward would be to engage the Open Source community (especially the attorneys and the people at the Open Source Initiative) to:
  • determine what such a label/logo might look like and mean, and
  • create or ensure that there is an OASIS RF license (for patent, copyright, trademark IPR) mode for TC's  that allows Open Source (tm) implementation.
</snip>

Jamie's note says we can - but the Board already rejected
this - since myself and others asked for a "4th IPR" option
for open source and open public specifications back in the
original review period in October and it was summarily
rejected and dismissed.

Actions speak volumes here.  And I'm not buying the
"shocked and dismayed" response from the Board to the
public position of the open source community here.
The Board chose this path and now they have to dig
themselves (gracefully) out of the hole they made.

Jamie made the point that as TC Chairs its up to our
members to make the decisions - but they will look to us
for guidance on this - and so we have to be clear that
we can recommend a specific choice too them and
be able to back that up with clear justification of
benefits and lack of pitfalls.

DW