Subject: Keeping TC rosters current

TC leaders:

    Please assist us with our need to confirm that each TC's participant
roster is up to date, as we near the launch of our IPR policy changes next
month.

      The controls for TC membership lists are accessible to chairs and
secretaries at the TC's "roster" web pages. [1]   Maintenance of these
rosters always has been important [2], because it drives key functions and
information channels:
     -- the web access rights and e-mail privileges of TC participants,
     -- the publicly visible record of TC membership, and
     -- the automatic population of web-based voting ballots

     As the revised IPR Policy [3] phases into effect beginning in April,
timely and accurate status data will become even more important.  The
disclosure and licensing obligations of members under the revised policy
will directly depend on the dates when participants join, and depart from,
a TC. [4]  We are encouraging our members and the public to rely on the
increased certainty provided by the revised policy, so correct data is
essential.

     Between now and the IPR Policy effective date, 15 April 2005, we ask
TC leaders to take special care to bring any outdated data in their TC's
roster up to current status.  On or shortly before 15 April, we also will
advise members that they should check to see if their own TC membership
status is accurately reflected. If you encounter any difficulties in
kee[ping that data current, using the web-based roster, or assigning the
correct status to an individual participant, please do not hesitate to
contact OASIS staff for assistance.

     Some TCs may have left newly-joining members in queue (as "prospective
members") to permit them to post, without triggering the web-driven
attendance keeping reminders.  As we update the TC Process, that should no
longer be needed, as participants will be permitted to remain as "Members"
of a TC and its subcommittees regardless of TC attendance.  (Regular
attendance will affect retention of *voting* membership but that issue will
be separate from TC membership status.)  Confirmation of the TC process
revisions -- published in draft last October and to be finalized shortly --
will be circulated later this month.

    Thanks as always for your assistance and leadership of our technical
process.    JBC

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

[1] Use the "Roster" tab on the TC's main members page,
or  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/
[SHORT-NAME]    /members/roster.php
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/guidelines.php#tools
[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php