Subject: Re: [chairs] This Old House (OASIS) - Further Response to Peter Brown

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 04/28/2010 07:15:15 PM:

> On 4/28/2010 5:11 PM, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Oh, I think this is more like saying don't trust a house builder whose
> > toolbox is not neatly organized.  Maybe, maybe not.  I think it is
> > something that would need to be demonstrated, not assumed.
> >

> OK, how many examples would count for a demonstration?

Let's see if we can start with one good one.

> Give me a reasonable number and I will post them to this list, naming
> names as it were.
>
> Here's one to get us started (although this is true across all TCs that
> I am aware of):
>
> Follow this link to get ODF email archives:
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/messages.php
>
> Now, follow this link to get ODF email archives:
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/
>
> Do you notice anything different about those two pages?
>
> (Hint: You can search using MarkMail with the second one.)

From the public-facing perspective, the later URL is what is pointed to
from the TC's public-facing home page, so that is what I expect the public
would use.  The former URL is linked to from the password-protected Kavi
page, so the public would not stumble on that page.  The exception would
be a TC member posted an email with a hyperlink to a URL from the private
repository.  Is that what you are seeing?   I know we had a problem
similar to that with doc repository links a while back.

> Err, would having a uniform way to access email archives, hopefully
> MarkMail, be too much trouble?

I assume that, for IPR documentation reasons at least, OASIS will always
need to store their own copy of the emails.  But I wonder if a URL rewrite
rule in Apache could simply redirect the "private" URLs to the public
copy?  That would handle historic uses of the private URLs as well as
future ones.

-Rob