Subject: Re: [chairs] What can Standards Development / TC Administration do to help?

At 2010-05-19 08:32 -0400, Bob Freund wrote:
>Woulds it be feasible to produce ONE std OASIS spec XML
>representation and / or transformation tools from a few editing
>formats to that ONE format?
>the "canonical OASIS standard format "would be the one that
>subsequent tools would deal with.

I personally think that is the wrong approach.

Our end users in the community need ONE format with which to read and
work with our specifications.

But I wouldn't want to impose my task-based XML editing environment
on anyone, and I wouldn't want to use anything else or I won't be productive.

I wouldn't want to impose DocBook on the DITA community, or the other
way around.

I wouldn't want to impose OpenOffice on a Word user.

I think committee productivity trumps any benefit one might get by
having only a single authoring/publishing environment.

Note that for the UBL committee, our normative specification is the
DocBook XML itself.  The HTML and PDF renderings are for humans to
look at thus meeting the OASIS publishing requirements, but the
specification itself is a hub XML document with hyperlinks to many
other resources.  I wouldn't want to be obliged to change that.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/i/