Subject: RE: [chairs] Who needs OASIS any more?

Attached is indeed the first sketch that I had prepared some weeks ago on this – suspended due to lack of time and needed work on other projects. If people feel this is on the right lines and worthy of beefing up, I’m happy to complete a strawman draft and submit this for discussion to the eGov member Section mailing list for discussion as a potential new initiative…

Cheers,

Peter

From: John Borras [mailto:johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, 24 June, 2010 00:57
To: 'David RR Webber (XML)'; peter-oasis@justbrown.net
Cc: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org; laurent.liscia@oasis-open.org

David

You may have missed our Open Government webinar recently?  We discussed this very issue, amongst other aspects of Open Gov, and I suggested that dumping large amounts of data on the Net was not the best way of achieving the intended goals.  It leaves things open to mis-interpretation and mis-use plus will make it increasingly hard for Joe Public to find what they want.  We are considering the way forward after our webinar but one thought is that there is scope for a TC to set some rules for profiling Gov’t data.  Most Gov’t data will be in some shape or form defined in legislation and therefore should not be open to interpretation, so capturing and publishing those definitions alongside the data would make the whole process much more effective.

As an adjunct to this Peter and I have been talking for a while about the need for a TC to take forward the CEN eGov Share protocol which is much about the same space.

Usual problem in all this is getting enough buy-in to scope and set-up a TC.  Maybe we should post something on the TC Discussion List to see what the interest is?

John