ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Name and address standards

"Based upon CEN's "Components of Postal Addresses" specification the UPU
standard defines a comprehensive list of name and address elements
corresponding to "the smallest meaningful parts of names and addresses. " -
Universal Postal Union Publishes Approved International Address Standard UPU
S42-1.

Well, when CEN was defining a plan for developing this standard, the OASIS
CIQ TC took
the plan and showed how the CEN's plan is a subset of the OASIS CIQ
standards for name
and address and why CEN should work closely with OASIS instead of
re-inventing the wheel.
Upon request from Holger Wandt, the chairman of the CEN WG331 committee that
was doing
the plan, a report was submitted by the CIQ TC clearly showing how the
proposed plan
of CEN clearly fits into the work done by CIQ TC. This report was raised at
the plenary
meeting of the CEN WG 331 by Mr.Wandt. The committee agreed on the report,
but to the
disappointment of Mr.Wandt and the CIQ TC still decided to go ahead and
develop a name
and address standard. This is what happens in the world of standards. It is
more political
than anything else!

John Borras wrote to me about the work of The U.S. Federal Geographic Data
Committee that
has come up with an Address Data Content Standard. I went through the
report. It was
disappointing to see that there is no mention of the work of the OASIS CIQ
TC that has
already developed a name and address standard in XML that can define name
and address data of 240+ countries in an application independent fashion
that is also vendor neutral and truly global. Note that the people who
developed the CIQ standards, have strong experience dealing with North
American addresses. It is also very clear that this standard is a subset of
CIQ standards.

It has been a very hard journey for me and my committee to tell all the
different groups
that have developed address standards and are continuing to do so not to
re-invent the
wheel and instead leverage the work that has already been done.

However, the work of the OASIS CAM TC should be able to address the
incompatibility in
these standards.

Regards,

Ram Kumar