ciq message

Subject: Re: CIQ question about street names

Hi Graham,

On 3/1/06, Graham Lobsey <graham_lobsey@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Ram,

I am looking at the CIQ documents and had a question, in the Australian Address Examples, the street is specified as

<a:Thoroughfare>
<a:NameElement>Smith Street</a:NameElement >
<a:Number>45</a:Number>
<a:Number>-</a:Number>
<a:Number>57</a:Number>
</a:Thoroughfare>

where the street name and street type is contained within the same element. I have also noticed similar examples with level, subdwelling etc.

We are looking at creating something more like

<
a:Thoroughfare>
<
a:Number>29</a:Number>
<
a:NameElement a:NameType="NameOnly">GEORGE</ a:NameElement>
<
a:NameElement a:NameType="Type">ST</ a:NameElement>
</
a:Thoroughfare>

YES, THIS IS VALID AND THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT.

Is this valid?

If so we may need to also add something like in UNA to indicate which elements appear first, to allow for the reconstruction of an address.

The more common example of this is the level types
If you have 1st Floor and level 1

and the numbers are split from the types then to recreate you need to know if the number or type appears first.

YOU CAN PRESERVE THE ORDER OF OCCURRENCE OF ELEMENTS BY REPRESENTING IN XML THE WAY THE ADDRESS WILL BE RECONSTRUCTURED.
REPRESENT 1ST FLOOR FIRST AND THEN LEVEL 1 NEXT. THIS IS THE ADVANTAGE WITH THIS VERSION.

<STREET NAME> <NUMBER>, REPRESENT STREET NAME FIRST AND NUMBER NEXT IN THE SAME ORDER.
<STREET NUMBER> <STREET NAME>, REPRESENT STREET NUMBER FIRST AND
NAME NEXT IN THE SAME ORDER.

If there is anything I could read or look at to help me understand this better let me know. I have been looking through some of the documents relating to the version 3.0 CIQ specs.

ALL WE HAVE IS THE CIQ V3.0 SPECS DOCUMENT AND IT TALKS ABOUT ORDER.

I HOPE YOU HAVE THE LATEST DRAFT VERSIONS. They are in the documents section and the fourth file from the top (OASIS CIQ DRAFT Specs V3.zip) contains the latest package.

Regards,

Ram

Graham