ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Re: Element to Element Linking

Ram,

Yeah - I'm deep into these trenches too.
Seems to me that once again we have a hotchpotch of W3C engineered document centric tools that are really not that useful for B2B integration.

Again - the key for me is understanding from the business stance WHAT is needed - before embarking on the "how".  In our case - seems like we're hearing need for content linkage, lookups, shared reference values - e.g. customer account information.

Technology summary

1) xinclude - big issue - cannot deal with fragments of XML - has to be whole XML + namespaces have to be declare.

2) xlink - complexity issues, control, security

3) hytime - wildly complex - old SGML technology

4) semantic overlay - OWL - this is the Web2 technology - but again - not really for content - more for definitions, meaning, rules.

5) dumb plain old XML approach - IDref - this is heavily used in CPPA for example - but makes creating XML instances tricky for hand editing - and also limits what you can do with includes and fragments becuase there is no %value% support in XML since the demise of DTDs and entities...  however people have used IDref to point to shared account information in the past - but content has to be local inline in the XML - not remote - so that's problematic.

6) Registry-centric approach + REST - this is OASIS technology - not W3C - so that community is not embracing what the registry should be providing here - as witness by Prof Asumans work on combining registry and OWL.  Registry does have all the tools for content management - not just semantics.

Bottom line is - OASIS has to roll its own better linking technology and get better support out there in Apache tools.

Examples - for now CAM has implemented its own <as:include/> mechanism that fixes the limitations on W3C <xi:include>

Also CAM has implemented Registry based linking and lookup approach with UID and LID support along with federated sources and abstraction of the actual communication mechanism (did we mention codelists, versioning and all those issues that Registry solves here?).  This also permits shared secure reference information.  And its implemented as a layer over on top of XML instances - so its non-intrusive.

So again - the question is - what are users of CIQ wanting from the business functional stance?

If its shared secure reference information content across a community of partners - accounts et al - I'd strongly favour doing this with ebXML Registry - it has all the infrastructure in place to do that - and that is exactly what the IHE/XDS community implementation is doing for healthcare right now.

It also means you can have an implementation addendum to the specification with recommended approaches for communities needs - and not burden the actual CIQ schema with any explicit stuff that is just doing to be a burden.

Thanks, DW