ciq message

Subject: Latest Version of Google Earth uses CIQ xAL

CIQ TC,

I had a discussion with Carl Reed of OGC regarding a simplified versionm
of GML. Following is his response.

See his last paragraph!

Who said CIQ is not used practically? CIQ has been widely used across
the globe for various applications right from India to Mongolia!

Regards,

Ram

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carl Reed OGC Account <creed@opengeospatial.org>
Date: Aug 18, 2006 2:08 AM
Subject: Re: Question about GML
To: Ram Kumar <kumar.sydney@gmail.com>

Hi Ram -

All is going well, thank you.

Yes, I believe that you can use Xlink with GML. But, not being a XML or GML
geek, I do not know the answer to your question. So, I will pass the
question onto the GML gurus.

In terms of a simple GML profile, a couple of updates:

1. The OGC membership has approved the GML Simple Features Profile. This is
a simple - but rich - profile of GML that probably provides more capability
than is perhaps required to solve many of the location encoding situations
in OASIS. However, check it out at
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=15201 .

2. For the majority of simple geometry encoding requirements (point, line,
etc), we are working the GML OASIS Profile. I worked up a schema last week
for use by Sukumar in the HAVE draft standard. However, it does not quite
validate, so I have asked the GML gurus to fix the schemas for me.

3. And of course, there is the really simple GML encoding used in GeoRSS -
which is the basis for the GML OASIS Profile. Check out www.georss.org.

Also, thought you might be interested to know that the latest version of
Google Earth KML uses xAL for expressing Addresses:
http://earth.google.com/kml/kml_tags_21.html

Cheers

Carl